The story B2737
London Transport Museum’s newly restored B-type bus, fleet number B2737, began service in January 1914 out of Mortlake Garage in south west London. It served Route 9 between Barnes and Liverpool Street before being commandeered for use by the War Department.
Upon its return from military service, it served for several months as a khaki traffic emergency bus before it was sold to the National Omnibus & Transport Company in 1922 for use as a passenger bus outside London.
[Image: A B-type in use as an ambulance during the First World War]
The restoration of B2737
The restoration of the bus into working order is made possible by a grant from Heritage Lottery Fund, London Transport Museum Friends and support from individual donors. Read our Battle Bus blog http://bit.ly/1fzDQzH and see images of the restoration in progress on Flickr http://bit.ly/1ucoWmU.
[Image: B2737 under restoration]
Recreating the B-type’s trip to the Western Front
B2737’s two-week tour from 18 to 29 September 2014 will take in key sites in Belgium and France associated with the use of buses during the First World War, including Ypres, Passchendaele and Arras.
[Image: Rear view of a B-type bus in use as a troop carrier.]