· The majority of people seeking help with homelessness are under 25.
· Because housing is in short supply and expensive it is getting harder for young people to find and keep a home.
· Young people who have experienced homelessness in youth are more likely to be homeless and unemployed in adulthood and we all pay the price of this.
Can you give us some statistics on this problem?
- 52% of people applying to the housing office as homeless are under 25
- homelessness because of financial problems has increased sixfold
- 48% of young people who become homeless are under 21
- Norwich has seen an increase in the number of young people claiming jobseeker’s allowance
- 80,000 young people will experience homelessness in 2015
- Most homelessness is as a result of eviction (due to non payment of rent) and abandoning the property because it just hasn’t worked out
· We are solving two problems at once – youth homelessness and unemployment.
· This virtuous circle means that by solving one problem you’ve got more chance of solving the second. It goes like this:
- someone with a job is more likely to be able to pay the rent and keep their home.
- someone with a home is more likely to be able to hold down a job. Simple!
How will you deliver this?
- At Your Own Place we do things differently. We start from the young person’s strengths, positive experiences and aspirations. Like you and me, they have hopes, dreams and aspirations for their future. We don't label and we don’t give up.
- Everything we do is unprejudiced and totally flexible to whatever else is going on in the young person’s life.
- Our independence training, volunteer training, mentor training and 1-2-1 employment support is of the best possible quality. This ensures that the young person feels valued and special from the beginning of the relationship. Without this trust there is no relationship, no progress and no job.
- We work tirelessly to find the right support for them at the right time, which means we work openly with colleagues who can complement what we do.
All of these values will underpin the training programme and 1-2-1 support that our inspirational new worker will provide to young people coming on board as our peer trainers.